A traffic crime may include any driving-related violation which occurs while operating a motor vehicle on a public highway. Traffic offenses can have serious penalties, including jail, loss of driving privileges, fines, probation and a criminal record. These are the most commonly prosecuted crimes in the State of Florida. Attorney Dunn has represented clients in a wide range of criminal traffic charges in Sarasota and the surrounding counties.
CALL IF YOU ARE DEALING WITH ANY OF THE FOLLOWING ISSUES:
- Driving with a Suspended License
- No Valid Driver’s License
- Hit and Run (Leaving the Scene of an Accident)
- Habitual Traffic Offender
- Reckless Driving
- Racing on Highways
Penalties for Criminal Traffic Violations
The penalties associated with criminal traffic crimes in Florida depend on the severity of the offense.
THE PENALTIES ARE OUTLINED IN FLORIDA STATUES § 775.082 AND 775.083 AS FOLLOWS:
- First-degree felony – punishable by up 30 years in prison and/or a fine up to $10,000
- Second-degree felony – punishable by up to 15 years of in prison and/or a fine up to $10,000
- Third-degree felony – punishable by up to five years in prison and/or a fine up to $5,000
- First-degree misdemeanor – punishable by up to one year in jail and/or a fine up to $1,000
- Second-degree misdemeanor – punishable by up to 60 days in jail and/or a fine up to $500
Traffic charges must be taken as seriously as any other criminal charges, especially when a traffic offense rises to the level of a misdemeanor or felony, which carry the potential for extremely harsh consequences. If you have been charged with a traffic-related misdemeanor or felony, the best place to start is to speak with an experienced traffic attorney in your area. In some cases, you may be able to “plead down” a serious traffic offense from a felony to a misdemeanor (or a misdemeanor down to an infraction), in order to best minimize punishment for the offense. If you have been charged with a Traffic Crime in Sarasota, Manatee County, DeSoto County, Lee County, or Venice, Florida, contact Adam Dunn for a free consultation.